Current:Home > ContactFormer model accuses onetime Harvey Weinstein associate of sexual assault -MarketLink
Former model accuses onetime Harvey Weinstein associate of sexual assault
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 20:09:12
In New York State Supreme Court on Thursday, a former model filed a lawsuit alleging that she was raped by Fabrizio Lombardo, a onetime associate of disgraced Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein. The suit also named Weinstein, Disney, and Miramax as defendants, saying they "were negligent or recklessly indifferent to the harm that Lombardo inflicted."
The suit was filed by Sara Ziff, who founded Model Alliance, a nonprofit advocacy organization for workers in the fashion industry. She alleges that in 2001, when she was 19, she was raped by Lombardo after a film screening. "Mr. Lombardo invited Ms. Ziff to go to a nearby hotel with him on the pretense that they would be joined by Harvey Weinstein and another young woman who attended the screening," the suit contends, noting that Ziff thought it would be a business opportunity as a model and aspiring actress.
The lawsuit says that instead it was "a trap set by Mr. Lombardo to get Ms. Ziff alone and rape her."
At the time, Lombardo was an executive with Miramax, the film studio co-founded by Weinstein. The former movie mogul is currently serving 39 years in prison for sex crimes in New York and California. NPR has reached out to Lombardo's representatives, but has not been able to get any comment.
According to The New York Times, Ziff filed a police report in 2017, but no charges were filed. NPR hasn't been able to independently verify what the police report alleged. She told the Times she had been hesitant to come forward before now. "I couldn't even talk to anyone about it for the first few years, let alone imagine taking legal action," said Ziff, now 40 years old.
Ziff says she reconsidered when the Adult Survivor's Act passed last year. The legislation extended the time adult sex crime victims can bring civil claims that would otherwise have expired under the statute of limitations.
Weinstein once credited Lombardo with saving his life and reportedly served as best man at Lombardo's 2003 wedding. Lombardo was head of Miramax Italy.
In 2018, Lombardo was named in a sexual harassment class action lawsuit against the Weinstein company and others, which claimed that Lombardo enabled Weinstein's abuse by helping to "procure and deceive potential victims." Lombardo never appeared in court and the suit was later settled. He hasn't responded to this latest allegation.
This week's lawsuit also names Weinstein, Disney, and its subsidiaries Buena Vista, and Miramax. Disney did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but Weinstein's attorney Imran H. Ansari said in a statement to NPR, "Certainly Mr. Weinstein had no control over any alleged conduct by Mr. Lombardo, nor would he have any reason to know what Mr. Lombardo was doing nor where Mr. Lombardo was at the time that Ms. Ziff alleges she was raped. As such, Mr. Weinstein firmly denies that he has any liability for the alleged conduct of another."
Over the years, Ziff has worked on legislation to stop sexual harassment and abuse in the fashion industry. Her organization has also launched an industry-specific support line for people who've experienced sexual harassment and assault.
veryGood! (42)
Related
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- These US cities will experience frigid temperatures this week
- Some striking UAW members carry family legacies, Black middle-class future along with picket signs
- Leftover Halloween candy? We've got you covered with these ideas for repurposing sweets
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- 'SNL' mocks Joe Biden in Halloween-themed opening sketch: 'My closest friends are ghosts'
- After three decades, Florida killer clown case ends with unexpected twist
- Iran arrests rights lawyer after she attended funeral for girl injured in mysterious Metro incident
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Former White House press secretary Jen Psaki writes about her years in government in ‘Say More’
Ranking
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- The war with Hamas pushed many Israeli dual citizens to leave the country. Here are stories of some who stayed.
- Kaitlin Armstrong murder trial set to begin in slaying of professional cyclist
- Horoscopes Today, October 28, 2023
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- A ferry that ran aground repeatedly off the Swedish coast is leaking oil and is extensively damaged
- On the anniversary of a deadly Halloween crush, South Korean families demand a special investigation
- Streak over: Broncos stun Chiefs to end NFL-worst 16-game skid in rivalry
Recommendation
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
EU chief says investment plan for Western Balkan candidate members will require reforms
Mega Millions winning numbers for Oct. 27: See if you won the $137 million jackpot
American man indicted on murder charges over deadly attack on 2 U.S. women near German castle
Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
More than 70 people are missing after the latest deadly boat accident in Nigeria’s north
For Palestinian and Israeli Americans, war has made the unimaginable a reality
Tyrod Taylor, Darren Waller ruled out of Giants game against Jets after injuries